Archerfield Wetlands Parkland
Wander the Discovery Trail, picnic by the wetlands or go birdwatching, Archerfield Wetlands Parkland is a great place to immerse yourself in nature.
About this destination
Archerfield Wetlands Parkland is located in Brisbane’s south-west, approximately 12 kilometres from Brisbane’s Central Business District (CBD). The 150-hectare parkland contains a variety of habitats including eucalypt forest, open grassland, freshwater wetlands and creeks. These habitat areas support over 150 different bird species.
Visitors can enjoy birdwatching, bushwalking and off-road cycling along the nearly 3-kilometre-long trail. An additional, short 450m walking track, accessed via the Wetlands Discovery Trail, leads to a shady lookout point with views over the wetlands.
Things to do
- bushwalking and off-road cycling on the Wetlands Discovery Trail, and Wetlands Lookout Trail
- birdwatching with the Archerfield Wetlands bird brochure (over 150 species of birds have been surveyed at the wetlands!)
- picnic at the wetlands lookout point picnic area
- read future stages to learn what other activities are planned for Archerfield Wetlands
For more information on cycling and walking trails at Archerfield Wetlands Parkland, including downloadable maps, visit Tracks and Trails.
Archerfield Wetlands District Park Project
Development is underway for a future District Park which will deliver new facilities for the community to connect with nature and each other, including:
- a large adventure play space featuring a water play area
- a youth hub with a basketball court
- an event and activity lawn
- a bush foods garden and native plant nursery
- a catchment centre focused on the environmental rehabilitation of the Oxley Creek catchment.
The District Park is part of the larger Archerfield Wetlands Parkland, a priority project identified in the Oxley Creek Transformation Master Plan 2018. Once an industrial precinct, a site for wastewater treatment and waste disposal, and a source of pollution for Oxley Creek, Archerfield Wetlands will become a unique, signature destination within the Oxley Creek corridor, a place for the local community to connect with nature and each other.
Archerfield Wetlands Parkland’s two signature project outcomes are:
- The Archerfield Wetlands Discovery Trail, a shared walking and cycling trail providing access through the 150-hectare site. This was completed and opened to the public in June 2022.
- The District Park, a 4-hectare multi-faceted park development within the Parklands at the old Inala wastewater treatment plant (located at 455 Bowhill Road, Durack). This is scheduled to open in 2024.
Download the concept plan showing the extent of the District Park works.
Latest project news
Construction works commenced in January 2023.
Construction works will involve:
- site establishment
- demolition and removal of existing treatment plant infrastructure
- construction of the new park infrastructure
- landscape and vegetation rehabilitation works.
Works will generally be undertaken between 6.30am to 6.30pm, Monday to Friday. Brisbane Sustainability Agency is committed to keeping the community informed and will provide advance notification of any out-of-hours activities.
Construction is expected to be completed in 2024, weather and construction conditions permitting.
View the timelapse videos of February 2023 to February 2024 construction works below.
View towards playground
View towards catchment centre
View towards youth hub
If you would like to find out more information about the Archerfield Wetlands District Park project, you can:
- Contact the project team on (07) 3007 7000 (during business hours)
- Call the Council Contact Centre on (07) 3403 8888 (24 hours)
- Email email@example.com
- Write to:
- Oxley Creek Transformation project team
- Brisbane Sustainability Agency
- GPO Box 400
- Brisbane Qld 4001
For more information on the Oxley Creek Transformation Project, including other projects along the Oxley Creek corridor click here.